Meet Some of the Cats We Have Helped
Scroll down to see our recent fosters
Here is a sampling of the many rescues that Dori has been involved with. Dori’s passion is animal welfare and has been helping animals in need all her life.
Ricky, Lulu and Spanky
In April 2002, I was made aware of approximately 32 cats and kittens inside a building and informed that they may have had no food and water for a few days. I called our pet sitter in that area who also happened to be the Animal Control Officer. We both went to check it out and were saddened by what we found. This little house had no heat – in April it was still very cold – and there was no running water or food. Feces and urine were everywhere throughout the entire home (which was later condemned and destroyed).
When the cats saw us, they all piled up at the front door, where the Animal Control Officer kept them occupied. I entered through the side door which allowed me to get inside without any cats escaping. As soon as they saw me, they swarmed and I had to tear open the 25 pound bag of cat food. They just climbed right into the bag, scrambling over one another because they were so hungry.
We had brought bags of litter and large cardboard boxes to provide clean bathrooms, and were able to obtain several jugs of water from a neighbor.
The cats were friendly and seemed healthy. Unfortunately none of them were neutered, so it is assumed they had interbred. The range of ages were 5 weeks to approximately 5+ years. I made some phone calls and many people jumped to assist us: the Merrimack Valley Feline Rescue donated distemper vaccines, feline leukemia/FIV combo tests and worming medication. The Feline Friends Rescue volunteered help, and a few of my Veterinary Technician friends volunteered their time. We gave them physicals, vaccines, tests (all negative, thankfully), and wormed them. The Animal Rescue League in Bedford, NH was gracious enough to take all the of cats and adopt them.
I chose to take a 6 month old white with black named Spanky. He was petrified of people and literally climbed the walls to get away. I knew he would not do well in the shelter. I balanced him out with an overly-friendly black with a bit of white littermate, named Lulu. I have found that animals take cues from one another, and I knew that Spanky would be looking at Lulu for comfort and learning in new situations.
I also adopted a 5 week old kitten named Ricky, who was diagnosed with congenital cataracts and was expected to be blind by the time he was a year old, may possibly have distemper, etc. He also had a mysterious black yeasty substance all over his face, eyes and in his ears. I had taken him to 4 different veterinarians, who were not familiar with whatever he had. After 4 years, I finally found, Dr. Holub who does help with Tufts Animal Hospital. He explained that Ricky (who did not have distemper, nor cataracts and was not blind), had allergies. Allergies in animals do not manifest like they do in humans, with itchy watery eyes, congestion and sneezing. In animals, allergies usually manifest in skin conditions. In Ricky’s case, his allergies manifested in an over production of black yeast in the hair follicles, known as Malazizia Pachydermitits. With the help of Dr. Anne Johnson, we did a blood allergy test. Poor Ricky is allergic to numerous grasses, tree pollen, black ants, 2 types of dust mites and a slew of other things. He now gets an allergy injection every 14 – 21 days and a monthly bath to keep the yeast at bay. I love all my cats, but Ricky is so completely special. He and I have this amazing connection, he is my “Soul Kitty”.
All three kitties (Lulu, Spanky and Ricky) acclimated into my home as if they had never been anywhere else and are doing fine with my other 7 cats! Lulu is still loveable and Mr. Spanky is an insatiable cuddle bug! I am so lucky to have them in my life.
Raina was apparently thrown from a car in the southbound high speed lane, just before exit 4 on the Everett Turnpike in Nashua.
I came across an unbelievable scenario driving down Everett Turnpike just before Exit 4. A young 8 month old female cat was clinging as close to the middle barrier as she possible could, in the pouring rain. I could not believe my eyes so I got off at Exit 4, and got back on to come around and sure enough, it was a cat. I pulled over into the break down lane and soon there after a Nashua Police Officer pulled up behind me. Thinking there was hope, I was glad to see him.
He came up to talk, I told him the situation, he saw the cat and demanded that I leave. He stated the cat got there and she will leave on her own. I left infuriated, my daughter was with me and I instructed her to call everyone we knew in rescue (and we know a lot). I turned around and went back, figuring the officer was going to have to arrest me, because I was not going to leave that area until I knew she was safe. Soon, three rescuers came armed with capture equipment. I called Maureen of the Bedford Shelter and she called the NH State Police.
The State Police Officer came down and he met up with the same Nashua Police Officer who made me leave. The amazing State Officer made him (Nashua Police Officer) stop all lanes on the highway, so we could rescue her, now named Raina.
After examination, we found that all 4 paws were raw, she was pretty scraped up and emaciated. The evidence pointed to the probability that she was thrown from a moving vehicle. It took months but she recovered and is happy in her forever home.
More to Come Soon !!
Sazar & Desilu
Felice & Linus
We are a Foster Family for
Manchester Animal Shelter
AND Humane Society Of Greater Nashua
All Fosters found homes
- Canine Heartworm Disease
The American Heartworm Society website has great information and animation on Heartworm disease, Click here for Canine Heartworm Video.
- Giving your dog Medications
Giving your dog medications can be tricky. Some dogs are very good at taking medications then they walk away and you find the pill on the floor. Click here for some help on Giving your dog Medications Video .
- Trimming your dog’s Nails
Many dogs do not like their feet touched, which makes trimming nails a chore. When your dog is relaxed, gently massage their feet, maybe just a few seconds at first, then increase the time as your dog accepts the attention. If he/she pulls feet away, that is okay, just try in a little while. Always praise your dog while gently touching their feet and massaging in between toes. Sometimes they only associate touching their feet with nail clipping. Make this a pleasurable time. Click here to learn more on Nail Trimming Video .
- Dog Behavior
Click on the Behavior you wish to view –
- Aggression to People,
- Aggression towards Other Dogs,
- Eating Feces (Coprophagia),
- Destructive Chewing,
- Housetraining Adult Dog
- Housetraining a Puppy
- Introducing a New Baby,
- Leash training a Puppy Video
- Loose leash walking
- Problem Barking,
- Separation Problems-HSUS
- Separation Anxiety-ASPCA
- Vaccinations and diseases
Here is some information on different diseases that can affect your dog and what vaccinations maybe necessary.
Click on to view –
- Greyhound Information
The most mis-diagnosed disease in Greyhounds is hypothyroidism. Greyhounds have a normal low thyroid. Many Greyhounds are placed on Thyroid medication and in some cases it may not be necessary. Click on www.animalmedicalcentreofmedina.com for more information. There is a lot of great information on Greyhound Health. Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine also has some great greyhound information, click on Greyhounds to view their website.
- Siberian Husky
The Siberian Husky is Dori’s (the owner) favorite. They are beautiful, powerful and extremely intelligent, but they are an often misunderstood breed. Many people believe that huskies need to be an outside dog and then leave them outside enabling them to become bored, escape artists who roam for miles in a very short time getting into a lot of trouble, which tends to get them shipped to a shelter. If you are considering sharing your home with a Siberian Husky, learn as much about this breed (as you should about ANY breed) before you bring one home. Learn all the good as well as the bad, talk to past and present owners of Siberians, talk to rescues, talk to breeders. The Siberian is truly a wonderful family dog, if you know what you are getting into and are willing to do some serious training. This is not recommended for a first dog owner. For more information, click on Siberian Husky Rescue Site for info on the breed and for rescues in your area.
Unfortunately, there is no licensed Siberian Husky Rescue in New Hampshire.
Check out our Facebook page, search for NH Siberian Husky Lovers
Why Use Professional Pet Sitting Etc ?
Peace of Mind
You have probably never given much thought to just how much time and effort you put into your pet’s good health and happiness. When you are gone, many things have to be done on a daily basis to make certain your pets are safe, secure, comfortable and happy. Professional Pet Sitting Etc. has decades of experience in animal care, and we go through the following checklist every time we visit with your pets:
- Bring in the newspaper
- Bring in the mail
- Give each pet clean, fresh water
- Give each pet the fresh food
- Give treats, if allowed
- Scoop litter boxes, if needed
- Have loving playtime with each pet
- Take pets out for a walk, if needed
- Make notes for owners
- Administer medications, if needed
You do most of these things automatically when you are at home.
Isn’t it comforting to know that someone is going through a checklist each day and will do them for you while you are away?
Advantages and Benefits
Professional Pet Sitting, Etc.
Advantages for your pet include:
- In your home, your pet remains in his or her secure environment, where all the sights, smells and sounds are familiar.
- In your home, your pet follows his or her customary diet and exercise routine. Some pets get very depressed and may stop eating in a pet care facility (see note below at end of page).
- Your pet is not traumatized by travel in a vehicle.
- In your home, your pet is not exposed to other animals, diseases, fleas, ticks and other parasites. Most pet care facilities do their best to keep things at bay, however, it only takes one infected pet to spread it from pet to pet in close quarters.
- In your home, your pet is not traumatized from other pets trying to fight with them (pets can go home with cuts, scrapes and bites) in a group environment at a pet care facility. Some pets become aggressive with other pets when they go home.
- Your pet will be less stressed left at home.
- Your pet will stay happy left at home. Some pets will come home with diarrhea, anxiety, destructive chewing, and other behavioral problems after being in a pet care facility.
- In your home, your pet will not regress in housebreaking. When pets are at pet care facilities, they are allowed to go to the bathroom where ever, when ever they want. Sometimes, these pets think it is okay to do at home also.
- Your pet will be happy in his/her home rather than in a cold, lonely environment away from home.
- Pets in their own home, do very well alone when you are away. Most pets are home alone while you are at work and at night when everyone is sleeping (in most cases, there is no need for a sitter overnight). We do recommend a visit in the middle of your work day and three (or 4) visits per day while you are away.
- Most importantly, your pet receives love and personal ONE ON ONE attention while you are away, whereas in a pet care facility it could be up to 25 dogs to one person (in some cases 25+ ).
- Your pet will not have to spend extra time away from home, due to the pet care facility being closed on a Sunday or a holiday.
- Shy pets, cats, birds, rabbits, guinea pigs and other small pets always do better in their own home environment rather than in a pet care facility.
Benefits for you include:
- SAVE GAS – we come to your home.
- SAVE MONEY – in multi pet households, our prices will be less expensive then a pet care facility. You do not have to pay for extra days if you come home on a Sunday or holiday when pet care facilities are closed.
- SAVE TIME – no need to take time out of your already busy day to drop off your pets or pick them up.
- As a registered client, we will always cover you if you ever became hospitalized, have a family emergency or a death in your family. We will start pet care just as soon as possible.
- You are not inconvenienced (or traumatized!) by transporting your pet.
- You are not stressed having to drop off or pick up your pet in certain time periods. You will pay extra if you are late to pick up at a pet care facility.
- You do not have to impose upon a friend, neighbor or relative when you use our service.
- Your home is looked after as well, since most pet sitters provide crime deterrence.
- You can leave home worry-free, knowing your pet is in good hands.
- You will ALWAYS be covered in emergencies, such as hospitalization or death in the family.
- Once you are a registered client with us, You will NEVER have to worry about finding another pet sitter if they move away, if they come down with the flu, if they have a death in the family, if their car doesn’t start, if they need to have a full time job, etc. Professional Pet Sitting has 38+ pet sitters on staff.
- SAVE TIME – Also you will never have to spend extra time checking on another pet sitter, pet sitting company (or every independent contractor). If you can not use Prof. Pet Sitting for any reason (maybe we are not in your area), you should check police background, bonding, insurance and references. We do all of the above for you on all of our employees, to keep you and your pets SAFE. Remember that if you check the pet sitting company and this company uses independent contractors, not employees, you MUST check both. Click here for more info on IC’s.
- When using Prof. Pet Sitting, you can return home at any time of the day or night and find your healthy, happy pet eagerly waiting to greet you.
All in all, the majority of pets will do better in their own home, with a pet sitting service making visits. The pets that do not do well at home while you are at work, obviously will not do well when you go away. Aggressive pets are also not a good candidate for pet sitting.
If you feel guilty placing your pet in a pet care facility, as is with the majority of us, do you and your pet a favor and leave them home with a quality pet sitter.
Pet sitters who stay overnight in your home, are generally not necessary. You will be paying for a person to sleep and your pets are sleeping also. The only time that overnights maybe necessary are when a pet is ill (and then that pet may be better in an animal hospital – keep in mind that there is no hospital or pet care facility that has a person check on every pet 24/7, even if they have a person on the premises at night).
If you use a pet sitter other than our company, please check them out THOROUGHLY. Pet sitters are not created equal. To keep you and your pets safe, check out “Frequently Asked Questions” to help guide you when you check out other pet sitting companies, pet sitters and all independent contractors hired by other pet sitting companies.
If you MUST use a pet care facility, for whatever reason, please do your homework. See EXACTLY where your pet will be “living”. Do not accept excuses (insurance regulations, it will disturb the dogs) or just look through a window where your pet will be, actually go in and see the actual pet quarters. Inspect the kennel – is it spacious, is it clean, does it smell, is the concrete or paint chipping, are the sides made of fencing. It is not recommended that pets can “touch” each other through fencing, some dogs will lift their leg to urinate and it will go into the next kennel, possibly onto your pet. Pets may also try to fight through fencing or get paws and/or teeth caught.
Note: A Pet Care Facility can be any place away from your home that takes care of pets, such as a boarding facility, kennel, etc.
Dog Walking and
Mid Day Let Out Visits
while you are at Work
Is your pet home alone Again? Are you feeling guilty again?
WE CAN HELP!!
Articles that you may find helpful –
Go to our New Client or Client Login to sign up now!!
You can schedule our Regular or Extended visits, you can also add on extra time, if you wish.
Prices depend on number of pets, time needed, travel, etc. Go Here for Prices.
The ultimate gift of love for your pet.
This service is for those pet parents who want to start their dogs out right with routine exercise every day. It is great for all dogs’ mental and health well being.
This is our Most requested Service. All pets need a break during our long work days, double shifts, unexpected or planned overtime. Pets can only go for so long without needing to go out. It can be agonizing for a grown pet to even think of having an accident inside. This service is especially needed for puppies and elderly pets (as for any pet) that cannot go for more than a few hours without needing to be relieved. If you work or are away from home 6 hours or more per day, give your pets the ultimate gift of love and call us for Mid-Day Let Out.
WE CAN PROVIDE THIS SERVICE FOR FIRST AND SECOND SHIFTS.
A trained and qualified Professional Pet Sitter will let your pet out to go to the bathroom, get some fresh air, stretch and let off some anxiety, play with toys or play ball, have some treats and always get lots of TLC and personal attention during the day while you are away.
This is just for the dogs who need some extra loving and bathroom breaks during your busy schedule. We will not be caring for other pets in the home or bringing in your mail/newspapers because you will be there every day. If you need extra help with pooper scooping or litterbox scooping, we do have added services if you wish for us to do that at mid day.
Package Plans for Mid-Day Let Out / Dog Walking
Package Plans for Mid-Day/Dog Walking,
Client requested!! These Package Plans are to give your pet a break in the middle of your work shift.
- let your dog out to go to the bathroom.
- Play and run in a fenced in yard,
- Play Ball
- Take your dog for a walk,
- Give lots of exercise
- We can feed during this visit if needed.
- We will give lots of love
- One on one attention
- Give treats if they are allowed.
All pets benefit mentally and physically from this break. Some behavioral issues may be helped.
We designed these packages to give you, our constant client a discount & save money for Monday through Friday service every week and sign up for 6 months to 1 year at a time. This also helps to give our petsitters regular schedules. They can only do so many visits in a day. This helps to maximize their time.
- SAVE, SAVE, SAVE – $2ooo+ depending on the discount package you choose
- Monday – Friday service for length of package
- All packages give you the choice of a Regular or Extended visit.
- This is for mid day/dog walking service only
- For 1 – 3 dogs (additional dogs are just a few dollars for each dog over 3)
- No need to schedule, you will automatically be on our schedule
- Budgeting is easy, the price stays the same every month (unless you add visits)
- If a holiday falls within the Mon-Fri, you stay at discounted package price for that mid day visit, no holiday rate
- No cancellation fee if you cancel last minute, you already receive free visits with discount, monthly price stays the same
- petsitter & pets establish routine (Pets LOVE routine)
- no need to schedule every week and get a confirmation
- automatically guaranteed a visit Monday – Friday
- advantages for people who work, are disabled, etc.
- all medical, physical, & mental advantages of mid day let out for your pet,
- saves time, gas & more for you, no need to bring your dog anywhere!!
- Platinum PLUS Package 1 year and Platinum Package 6 months
Our Platinum PLUS packages are TWO visits for exercise and fun in a day every Monday – Friday. We will space them out so your dogs will get to go out TWICE during your work day, they get to have TWICE the fun, TWICE the potty breaks, TWICE the love, TWICE the treats.
Your savings for this package is comparable to FIVE FREE VISITS per month and OVER 2000 for the year!!
- Gold PLUS Package 1 year and Gold Package 6 months
This is the same as our Platinum Packages above but are for ONE visit per day Monday – Friday for exercise and fun in a day. We will come in the middle of the day so your dogs will get to go out ONCE during your work day, they get to have fun, potty break, lots of love, and treats.
Your savings for this package is comparable to FOUR FREE VISITS per month and over $1000 for the year!!
- Puppy Platinum Package 1 year and Puppy Gold Package 6 months
This is a combination of the packages above. We will come at the beginning for TWO visits spaced out until your puppy or new dog becomes housebroken and can hold it for longer periods of time. Once it is determined that the pup can go longer comfortably, we will switch over to just the ONE visit. This is great for young pups or newly adopted dogs.
Your savings for this package is comparable to FOUR+ FREE VISITS per month.
- School Package for the School Year
This is the exact same as the GOLD PLUS package above but made for the school schedule. We can schedule you for the complete school year with the summer and all vacations off. Please just give us the school calendar at the beginning and we will schedule you accordingly. School vacations of Complete weeks only will not be charged as long as we know the school calendar at the beginning of the year.
Your savings for this package is comparable to FOUR FREE VISITS per month.
- Custom Package 1 year
This is where you can choose and mix and match any of the 1 year packages above. Maybe you have really long days on Monday and Thursday and prefer TWO visits but only need ONE visit on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.
IMPORTANT NOTE – Please keep in mind, that every dog deserves a break in the middle of the day and most would rather die than have an accident. If you must stop your Mid Day/Dog Walking Service for whatever reason, you must come home for a break or ask a friend, neighbor or relative to continue for your dog. Your dog’s body will be used to elimination in the middle of the day and they will be looking forward to the companionship, exercise, fresh air, treats and love that they have come to look forward to every day.