August Pet Care Tips from a NH Pet Care Professional
As a Pet Care Professional
in NH since 1978,
I’ve learned a few Pet Care Tips
Author, Dorinne Whynott, Owner of Professional Pet Sitting Etc.
Having been in the animal field all of my life, working in animal welfare, animal rescue,
Animal Hospitals and now in the Largest NH Pet Sitting Company, I have put together a few
Pet Care Tips for every month, here is the Month of August.
August Pet Care Tips
- Animal Welfare Act was passed on August 24, 1966
- Water Safety for pets – A summer outing to the lake or ocean be a lot of fun with your dog be sure to outfit your dog with a life jacket in case of emergency, make sure they have shade and plenty of fresh water. Check with ocean lifeguards for water conditions, dogs are easy targets for jellyfish. Be aware of rip tides, they can easily sweep your dog away. Running on sand is strenuous activity, if your dog is not used this kind of activity, ligaments and tendons can be injured, take fun play slow. Salt and other Ocean minerals can damage your dog’s fur, so rinse them off at the end of the day with fresh water. Not all lake or ocean beaches permit dogs, check local ordinances before heading there with your dog.
- Hot Sand on beaches can be just as harmful to the pads of a dog’s feet as hot asphalt. I just like a child, who is having too much fun, your pet may ignore hot feet until they are burned. If you will be on the beach for a long time in the sun, check into protection for paws.
- More water safety tips – most dogs enjoy swimming, but some can’t and some hate the water. Know your dog’s preferences And skills before trying to make them swim. Never throw your dog in the water. If you are swimming with your dog for the first time, start in very shallow water and coax them in. Swimming is hard work, so don’t let your pet overdue it and get too tired.
- Pool Safety for dogs is the same as for children. Never leave a dog unattended around a pool. Even if a pool has a cover, pets may try to walk on the cover and can easily slip under with any small crevice and be trapped underneath.
- Do NOT leave your pets in hot cars or sun – August can be one of our hottest months, please do not leave your pets in your car for any reason, not for a minute, not even with the windows down. We had a tree cutter come and cut down trees in our yard one year in August. He enjoyed bringing his dog with him. He took him out of the front and let him go in the back of his open pickup bed. You would think it was okay being open. It was in the sun…..by the time the tree cutter was done, the dog had passed away…..the dog was so obedient, he never left the truck, nor wimpered, nor wined. Please, be very careful in the hot summer sun with your beloved pets. Sometimes, the best thing for them is to leave them home.
- More Frozen Treat ideas – fill paper cups with plain yogurt, push a treat or two in the middle and freeze. Peel paper cup off and give to your pet!
- Freeze peeled bananas, hulled strawberries and apples (seeds removed). These are great nutritious treats that are cool in the hot weather ( great for kids, too)
- Make your reservation Now for your September pet care reservation.
- If you adopt a puppy or dog this month – CONGRATULATIONS !! Register online ASAP to set up Mid Day Let out so they have a break while you are at work and you will be ready when you may need a pet care visit anytime in the future.
- If you adopt a kitten or cat this month – CONGRATULATIONS !! Register online ASAP to set up Feline Fun Time, we can take care of the litter box and give then one on one attention while you are at work, plus you will be ready when you may need a pet care visit anytime in the future.
About the Owner/Author
Dorinne Whynott, is a long time animal professional. She is a successful business owner establishing one of the largest pet sitting companies in New Hampshire since 1990. Click to Read her complete History.
Professional Pet Sitting Etc. is a leading business in the pet care field and continues to grow since 1990. It boasts 30+ amazing pet sitters on staff, over 3000 clients in 38 cities from Nashua to Concord, NH. Hundreds of satisfied client testimonials can be found on their website and more 5 star reviews on their Facebook page, Google+ page and more. They have sustained an A+ rating with the BBB and are unmatched in the Pet Sitting Industry in New Hampshire.
Contact us by phone at 603-888-8088
Pet Sitting NH , Pet Sitting Nashua NH , Pet Care NH, Petsitternh, Petsittersnh, Professional pet sitter, pet sitters, professional pet sitting, pet sitting, pet sitter, professional pet services, professional pet sitters, pro pet sitting, pet sit, pet, puppy sitting
cat sitting, cat sitter, cat sitters, professional cat sitter
dog, dog sitting, professional dog sitter, Dog walking new hampshire, dog sitter, Dog Walking NH, dog walking services, Dog Walker, Dog Walker NH
All rights reserved, copyright 2013, 2014, 2015
This article can not be copied in part or in whole without specific written permission by the Author/Owner.